It has become almost normal for people to be diagnosed with cataract after the age of 50 years. In this condition, clouding occurs in the natural lenses of the eyes, which lie behind the iris and the pupil.
Cataract may occur as a result of a past eye surgery such as ICL, or due to ageing, genetic disorder, diabetes, exposure to ultraviolet rays or radiation, or eye trauma or any eye injury which changes the tissue of the eye lens.
When cataract occurs, the natural lens of the eyes become hazy due to protein denaturation. This prevents light from passing through the lens, clouding the vision.
Cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure and takes around 30 to 45 minutes.
You are an ideal candidate for cataract surgery if you are :
- experiencing cloudy vision
- seeing bright colors as faded
- experiencing double vision
- experiencing light sensitivity
- experiencing poor night vision
- not pregnant and nursing
- cataracts are impeding your daily activities such as driving, reading, cooking, or your outdoor activities
- not experiencing dry eyes
It will take around 6 - 10 weeks to completely heal from cataract surgery.
The cost of cataract surgery in India varies from 500$ - 900$ for each eye.
Cataract surgery results are considered to be permanent.