Ophthalmology refers to a branch of medicines and surgery (both methods are used) that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eyeball and orbit.
According to WHO report, 285 million people are estimated to be visually impaired worldwide, out of which 39 million are blind, and 246 million are suffering from low vision. Almost 82% of people living with blindness are in their aged years or above.
Usually, uncorrected refractive errors are the leading cause of moderate and severe visual impairment. On the other hand, cataracts remain the leading cause of blindness in the middle- and low-income countries.
However, things have been changed now. About 80% of all visual impairment can be prevented or cured nowadays.
What's the best place for ophthalmology treatment?
India is one of the best locations for the treatment of ophthalmology. Today, most of the international patients come to India for eye-related disorders' treatment. Eye care hospitals in India with specially trained Indian doctors offer a well-equipped facility for the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of all ophthalmic diseases and eye related problems.
Other reasons include:
- Eye care hospitals, as well as eye surgeries in India, are famous for their international standards and facilities along with the latest procedures in minimal incision surgeries.
- Refractive surgery, otherwise known as LASIK, is also gaining popularity in India as its success rate is as high as it is in the abroad.
- The availability of best hospitals in India for LASIK eye surgery, cataract eye surgery and a reasonable price range for these treatments has made a lot of medical tourists come to India.
In India, you may get various eye care treatments at an affordable range where you can save up to one-third of what it costs in the US or the UK and even Australia. On an average, a LASIK eye surgery cost for both eyes in India is only $600 in contrast with the huge surgery cost of $4,500 in the US.
Interesting Facts About Human Eye:
- An average person blinks approx.12 times per minute.
- An eye blinks 1,000 times a day.
- The eye is composed of 2 million working parts.
- The human eye has 576-megapixel resolutions.
- The cornea is the only tissues that do not require blood.
- An eye can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
- The human eyeball weighs approximately 28 grams.
- Sneezing with open eyes is impossible.
- The eyeballs stay the same size from birth to death.
- A human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colours.